Salomon Kalou Actions Could Hamper Bundesliga Immediate Return
German football authorities say 11 individuals from the country’s top two divisions have tested positive for coronavirus.
The potential return of the Bundesliga is under increased scrutiny after Hertha Berlin forward Salomon Kalou posted a Facebook video of himself ignoring social distancing measures.
Former Chelsea player Kalou, 34, was seen shaking hands with his Hertha team-mates and interrupting a medical check-up of another. He has since deleted the video.
The images have been called “unacceptable” by the German Football League (DFL), which has been working towards restarting the football season later this month – subject to government approval.
Hertha Berlin have suspended Kalou with immediate effect, saying the player had shown behaviour that “is neither appropriate to the situation nor corresponds to the rules of conduct of the club”.
The Bundesliga club said the incident came after the team returned negative tests for coronavirus, which Kalou reacted to by shaking the hands of his team-mates, contrary to instructions from medical staff.
General manager Michael Preetz added: “With his video, Salomon Kalou has not only done a great deal of damage to Hertha BSC, but also created the impression that individual players are not taking the issue of coronavirus seriously, in a time of great discussion on the resumption of football and the role of the professional game.”
Kalou, who has 97 caps for the Ivory Coast, said: “I am sorry if I gave the impression that I am not taking coronavirus seriously. The opposite is the case, because I am especially worried about the people in Africa, because the medical care there is nowhere near as good as in Germany.
“I didn’t really think it through, and was excited that my tests came back negative.
“I would also like to apologize to all those who appeared in the video who didn’t know that I was broadcasting live and whom I didn’t want to bring into this situation.”
Top facts of Bundesliga return:
- 10 individuals from Germany’s top two divisions have returned positive coronavirus tests
- 1,724 tests had been conducted on players and staff at the 36 first and second-tier sides since last Thursday.
- The Bundesliga’s earliest possible return date is likely to be May 16, following a decision from the German government.
Earlier on Monday the DFL said 10 individuals from the country’s top two divisions have returned positive coronavirus tests.
It said 1,724 tests had been conducted on players and staff at the 36 first and second-tier sides since last Thursday.
The 10 individuals had been isolated and a second round of testing on all participants will take place this week as clubs build towards a return to full team training.
A decision on whether the DFL’s plans meet with government approval is expected on Wednesday, with the Bundesliga now not likely to resume until May 16 at the earliest.
After returning to training last week, Cologne announced three of their employees had tested positive for coronavirus.
Those affected were quarantined but the club said training will continue ahead of the German league’s return. Cologne have since said there have been no new cases at the club following a fresh round of testing on Sunday.
Source: Sky sports